the trip to Peru was amazing (more on that in a bit). what's been on my mind most since i got home is what the experience has left in its wake. it feels elusive and precious and worthy of its own post.
a little context first. i arrange most of my life around what should be done---at work, at home, with friends, with family. during the week i leave myself little personal time outside of work, commute, and social visits. every Saturday morning i pull an envelope out of the recycling bin and make a to-do list that includes every errand and mundane task that i might need to do between social outings that weekend. it's usually enough to fill three or four days. once all the should-dos are taken care of there's little time or energy for what i think of as the could-dos. i rarely pick up my guitar. i'm learning Greek at a snail's pace. i haven't written blog posts i've been composing in my head for a year.
i'm able to break out of this rut sometimes. sometimes it's an obvious break, like taking acting lessons, jumping out of a plane, or hiking to Machu Picchu. sometimes it's something small, like reading a book on the way to work instead of reading my e-mail. strangely, the big breaks are more common for me than the small breaks, probably because they can be scheduled. call it strong obligation inertia. i admire and envy people that seem to easily follow their sense of adventure and creativity.
but in the wake of the trip i feel certain that i could be different. after nine incredible days in Peru and with two more days off, my mind is full of all of the things that i could do with my life, youth, and talents, and the world feels magical with possibilities. truly life-changing events are rare, and often the change that could follow can't happen without conscious effort. this feeling will start to fade when i return to my routine (actually, it started to with the first load of post-trip laundry), but i hope i can make this adventure and the sense of possibility left in its wake change me a little.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Do whatever you have to do to keep that feeling alive. Sounds like you need to book another trip to build up that adventure inertia! Looking forward to hearing about the trip.
That sounds so awesome! I think you DO take full advantage of your youth and talents but I can't wait to see what you'll do next! Love ya!
Get your motorcycle license and start exploring your backyard. With a helmet on, the familiar is new again...
Awesome post. I often wish I were more like what you describe you're like now -- diligent in doing things that I know need doing. But instead of spending all that extra time doing the things I love (languages, music, etc.), I spend it worrying that I should be doing important stuff :)
I'm dropping some of the "important stuff" (like my psych research) and hoping I have enough energy for both errands and hobbies. Can't wait to see where your epiphany takes you!
(This post is just so I can click the "Email follow-up comments to..." Crappy UX, huh?)
Inner change is difficult. A physically difficult outer journey can inspire us. (Every culture reinvents the concept of a pilgrimage.)
I hope with all of these comments, you realize how much you actually are the person you want to be!
Post a Comment